New Year….

Well, it’s a new year and I feel like I’m turning over a new leaf, kind of starting afresh I guess, albeit somewhat out of my control. I’ve been laid low with double pneumonia, being admitted to hospital on the 12th of December. I must admit I had no idea where I was initially as I felt so rough, but after finally being diagnosed and eventually dosed with monstrous doses of antibiotics, I hit the ward after three days feeling a lot more human.  I met some great guys on my ward of six, sometimes seven people. To my left was Ken, a diabetic with terrible water retention problems swelling him up to 17 and 18 stone and beyond, but despite his problems he regaled us with some incredible stories of when he was a lad and his time in the army. Thanks Ken. I hope you get well soon. To my left was Rob, an MS sufferer who was admitted with near kidney failure due to being misdiagnosed as having blood pressure problems by his GP. Again, some great evenings spent talking about his problems, loosing his wife to MS earlier in the year and his daughter being diagnosed with a brain tumor, luckily not malignant, and reminiscing about the good ol’ days and the decent music we used to listen to as young ‘lads’. I hope you’ve got back t0 normal soon Rob. Across the aisle to Rob was Bryan, involved in a hit and run accident, initial diagnosed as having nothing wrong with him and being sent home, but later re-admitted with severe internal problems, bleeding, swelling etc. He’d recently got married to his long term partner in a civil ceremony and they’ve had to cancel their honey-moon due to the accident. Bryan was delirious a lot of the time, falling out of bed, pulling out his drips and his bags trying to get home to his husband. Very sad. But again, once he started to recover the four of us often got told off for chatting too much by the nurses. The other beds rotated too often to get familiar with anyone else, suffice to say the last guy opposite me was a pot smoking recovering heroin addict on methadone that was doing nothing to help his condition and was irritating beyond belief. As Ken told him to his face, if you don’t buck your ideas up, you’ll be in here again when they cut your legs off !!! He was less than impressed by that but later admitted it was probably true.

So, I’m now back home again, being let out on New Years Eve and I’m slowly getting back to normal. Everything wears me out, but climbing the stairs is getting to be OK now. I’ve got my first consultants appointments on Thursday where I should find out if my lungs are still clearing up nicely. Fingers crossed.

Well, it’s a belated happy new year from me. Hopefully you’ll keep yourselves health and have a great 2009.

Best wishes.


(aka BluePixel)

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to New Year….

  1. nikkipolani says:

    Hmmm, a new leaf. As in staying out of hospitals? I hope you do stay well, Steve — and glad you survived double pneumonia. Antibiotics are not kind to me; hope they treated you well.

  2. daffy says:

    Aww get well soon mate. Sorry you have been so poorly. It will take a long time to recover fully so go easy ok? No running before you can walk! It will do more harm than good!
    I love that you took the time to recover with one of the best medicines…good company and old fashioned pass times…. your friends sound really good and they have my wishes for speedy recoveries too!
    Take it easy! xxx

  3. nikki Thanks for the best wishes. They found a secondary infection lurking behind the major pneumonia and they gave me a second dose of antibiotics for it, but they brought me out in a rash !!! =:oP so I had to stop taking them.

  4. daffy Thanks, i’m doing my best although taking it easy isn’t an easy thing to do !!! Once you start feeling better you start to want to do more, but you can’t.
    Your right. I wasn’t expecting to make new friends in hospital but these guys were just such nice people. We all ‘clicked’ which was great. I too wish them all a speedy recovery too.

  5. Flighty says:

    I’m sorry to read that you were as as ill as you were!
    It’ll take time to be fighting fit again so take it easy.
    I recommend lots of sofa flying with tea, biscuits and a good book! Take care.

  6. Flighty I’ve already taken a leaf out of your book Flighty and enjoy regular afternoon sofa sessions with a pot of tea and a packet of biscuits… and I must say it’s working a treat. Another three or four weeks of it and I reckon I’ll be almost back to normal.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s